About our area: Park Royal
Just north of the Hanger Hill Garden estate is Park Royal.
Formerly the village of Twyford, the present name derives from the Royal Agricultural Society exhibitions held here from 1903 to 1905. Munitions factories were built on the site during the First World War, and it then developed as an important industrial estate.
Businesses have included HJ Heinz and Waterlows printers. There have also beedn stadiums for greyhound racing and football. During the 1970s and 80s several of Park Royal’s factories closed and parts of the area became derelict. Manufacturing industry continues to play a role in Park Royal -Drinks company Diageo has an office in Park Royal but in 2005 it closed the Guinness brewery which was built by Sir Giles Scott in 1934, owing to excess production capacity. (Too much Guiness?? – whatever next!)
During the early 21st century the Park Royal Partnership worked to address the area’s problems by encouraging new businesses to move in, and by improving the quality of the built and landscaped environment. The partnership ceased to function in 2013, owing to public sector funding cuts. There is a lot of residential development in the area at the moment.
The estate’s future prospects are now bound up with the regeneration of Old Oak Common, which lies across the other side of North Acton and where a proposed HS2 and Elizabeth line (Crossrail) interchange could make this one of the best connected sites in the London area.