Watch our video

Houses in Multiple Occupation

  • Under the Housing Act 2004, an HMO is where three or more people share accommodation and amenities and form two or more separate households.
  • Large HMOs are properties occupied by five or more people, also living in two or more separate households.
  • All large HMOs must be licensed with a local Council.

Each Council has the power to also introduce additional and selective licensing schemes which apply to certain HMOs that don’t meet the mandatory criteria.

A licence is valid for maximum of five years, are non-transferable and the fee charged is set by each local Council.

Licences are granted by a Council if the house is suitable for occupation; the proposed licence holder is a ‘Fit and Proper’ person; and the proposed management arrangements are satisfactory.