Search site



Liability Insurance

It is important to ensure that you have sufficient means to cover your liability for accidental damage to your landlord’s property, furniture, fixtures and fittings, should something unexpected happen, which your security deposit is unable to cover.

For instance, we’ve recently had a situation where a tenant didn’t realise, as she was at home colouring her hair, that whilst the colour developed, she was actually dripping the clear dye onto the floor as she walked around the house. As the dye started to turn dark brown, she realised that the sofa, the lounge carpet, the hall, stairs, landing and bedroom carpet plus the bathroom vinyl flooring all had dark brown splodges over them and no amount of scrubbing would move the stains. Sadly the tenancy deposit was unable to cover the cost of replacing all of the items, most of which were less than 6 months old, but luckily accidental liability insurance was in place to save the day.

CLICK HERE to get a quotation from our recommended insurance company, the lettings leaders HOMELET UK to ensure that you’re covered and have peace of mind throughout the tenancy. Then go and buy some hair dye!



The property and its contents should be comprehensively insured to include 3rd Party Liability and Occupier risks & Public Liability, as well as cover furnished lettings if applicable. your tenant should be given a copy of your insurance schedule for buildings and contents, as this will form part of your tenancy agreement.

Just because you let your property unfurnished, it doesn’t mean that it’s empty; as a Landlord you could be exposed to more risks than you realise.

Homelet’s Landlord’s Contents Insurance for Unfurnished Properties covers:

  • Up to £5000 for your carpets, curtains, blinds, light fittings and your kitchen appliances & goods
  • Protection for you and your tenants with £5 million property owner’s liability so that if your tenant injures themselves in your property and you’re found to be negligent, you could have a hefty bill and damages to pay
  • Loss of rent or re-letting costs if something really serious happens and your tenant needs to move out (see policy wording)
  • Replacing locks if the keys have been stolen
  • Premiums could be tax deductable!