Landlords, we would like to help you to understand the important legislation with the guide on ‘right to rent’ please let us know if you would like any information on lettings legislation our team would love to help!
What is Right to Rent?
Every landlord has the legal obligation to check that their tenants have the right to rent in the UK before they move into the rental property. This does not apply to renewed tenancies where the tenant has already been living in the property prior to 1st February 2016. But remember, you cannot predate tenancy agreements and if there are changes to the existing tenancy agreements, this legislation will apply.
What to do:
- Obtain the tenant’s original documents that allow them to live in the UK.
- Meet the tenants in person to check that their photo ID matches the person you are meeting.
- Check the name, address and signature match the details that you already have.
- Make sure that any work visas do not expire before the end of the tenancy term, otherwise you might need to amend the tenancy agreement. If it is due to expire, check that they have renewed it.
- Copy all documents, record the dates and keep on file.
If you employ a letting agency, make sure that they are carrying out the necessary checks on your behalf and correctly documenting the procedure as per their agency terms of business, which you have agreed to in writing.
If you’d like to know more, or are looking for an agent to complete this extra work for you, please get in touch with us, and a member of the Northfields team will be happy to go through it with you.